Thursday, June 11, 2015

Elijah on the interview with Milford Murray

On June 4th, 2015, I was part of a group of people who interviewed local Chestertown Resident Milford Murray.  What impressed me most about him was his ability to recall stories from various points in his life and relate them to the more modern time period in which he lives.  As a guy who lived in New Jersey for most of his life, I don’t know a lot about Chestertown.  Milford’s interview helped me learn a good deal more about this town’s recent and older history. 


He had a bit of a pessimistic attitude for the future of the town, claiming that there are plans to try to turn it into a retirement community, citing the lack of blue-collar work as well as the decline in the local African-American population.  He was a good talker; able to eloquently explain just about anything that was brought up as well as a few things that weren’t brought up.  One thing I'm supposed to reflect on is whether or not I have any additional questions that I didn't get to ask, but to be honest, I don't have any at this point, he covered everything.  

I guess I can say I have one issue and that is that he's willing to give tours of the Civil War Museum on First Friday, but I have a training session that day from 6-8.  I may be able to make it but I'll probably be late or just too tired to head in to town.  Sorry about that Milford, it's just an awkward timing thing going on.

All in all, it was an interesting experience and I hope to interview more people.

--Elijah McGuire-Berk

No comments:

Post a Comment